ALL OF OUR PROGRAMS AND PRESENTATIONS ARE FREE OF CHARGE AS PART OF OUR COMMITMENT TO PUBLIC SAFETY AND EDUCATION.
Preventative Search and Rescue Presentations
Sierra Madre Search and Rescue's (SMSR's) Preventative-Search-and-Rescue (PSAR) program is dedicated to providing wilderness-safety education programs to the public. PSAR presentations, which are available on various wilderness safety topics for ages 3 years old to adults, are from one to two hours in length and provided free of charge. Please contact us at least a month in advance to make sure an instructor is available. Evenings and weekends are the best times to schedule presentations. To learn more about a specific presentation or for scheduling a presentation for your group please contact:Bruce Lamarche, Public Education Coordinator
(626) 355-3411 (answer machine)
- This Program teaches children what to do if they get lost in the wilderness.
- Mountain Survival - What to do before and during your trip, as well as what you bring with you, can have a big impact in determining whether your wilderness outing turns out to be a wonderful experience or a struggle for survival.
- Parental Instruction for Child Safety - Prevention is the key. This presentation will provide useful information for parents who plan to take their children into the wilderness.
- Topics of interest to Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Boy and Girls Club, other youth groups. - We can teach children 3 to 12 years old how to avoid getting lost and what to do if they should become lost. Handouts summarize the program and explain to adults what to do if the child becomes lost.
- Wilderness Safety for Parents and Adults.- Instruction for parents, camp counselors and other adults how to prepare children for outdoors activities. This includes safety tips for adults to consider when they are with children, fun activities for kids to keep them with the group and prevent them from wandering away, important facts on what to do should someone get lost, and ways to help searchers and dog handlers locate the lost person quickly.
- Career Days - Teaches junior high and high school students the value of giving to their community by volunteering and explains the requirements, training, duties, and responsibilities of SAR team members.
- Safety Fairs - SMSR participates in safety fairs for children and adults.
- Wilderness Safety Programs for Adults - Instructors will talk with the contact person and create a wilderness safety presentation specially designed to meet the needs of the organization. Numerous topics are available, including Hypothermia and first aid, Winter Safety, Mountain Safety, and Wilderness Survival.
- Sierra Madre Search and Rescue - This is a presentation about SMSR, who we are, and what we do for the community. Some of the topics discussed are how to join the team, training, who is legally responsible for SAR missions, what resources are used during a mission, and who & when to call for help.